Blog

A Guide to Gas Safety Check By London Property Inspections

Gas is a dangerous substance, and although we could not do without gas equipment such as boilers, gas fires and heaters in our homes, all gas appliances must be carefully maintained to prevent them from becoming dangerous. According to the Gas Safety Registry, 1 in 6 houses inspected by engineers contains unsafe gas appliances. Keeping up with the maintenance of your gas appliances is essential for the safety of your home and all people living there.

According to the Gas Safety Check Registry, 1 in 6 houses inspected by engineers contains unsafe gas appliances. Keeping up with the maintenance of your gas appliances is essential for the safety of your home and all people living there. If something goes wrong, the gas may escape from the equipment and cause fire, explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning. To prevent dangerous gas leaks, all gas appliances may only be installed, maintained and the gas safety verified by qualified and registered Gas Safe professionals.

The best tips for a gas-tight home

Although it is important for a professional trader to install and maintain your gas appliances, there are a number of controls that you can do yourself and the precautions you can take to make your home safe.

Know the warning signs of a problem.

You and everyone else in your house must be aware of the warning signs that there may be a problem with a Gas Safety Check appliance. Early identification of a problem can help prevent a disaster and can even save lives.

  • The pilot flame looks yellow instead of blue.
  • Black spots of soot on the device.
  • Steam or smoke comes out of the device.
  • Increase of condensation levels in the same room as the gas device.
  • A control lamp often goes out.
  • The device makes an unusual noise.

Keep ventilation free and not blocked

Ventilation for gas appliances can consist of chimney ducts and ventilation openings and stones. Black spots of soot on a device can be a sign that ventilation is blocked.

Mount a carbon monoxide detector correctly

Carbon monoxide is a very dangerous colorless and odorless gas, making it difficult to detect until it is too late without a carbon monoxide detector. All homes with gas appliances must have a detector that can be purchased in most DIY stores and can be purchased directly online. When choosing an alarm, ensure that it complies with European safety standards.

Where can you safely place your alarm?

Your carbon monoxide detector must be in the same room as the gas appliance and at least one meter away from it. The alarm must be placed at the top level and must not stand in the way of or close to a source of ventilation or condensation (such as a kettle).

  • Maintenance and test the alarm.
  • Your carbon monoxide alarm must have a “test” button. Test your alarm regularly to ensure that it is still working and that it is not necessary to replace the batteries.
  • Do not use gas appliances if you are not sure if they work properly
  • If in doubt whether a gas appliance is working properly or not, you should use it until a professional has checked it to verify gas safety.
  • Have your gas appliances checked annually by a registered professional
  • Every 12 months a registered Gas Safe technician must verify the safety of your gas appliances to ensure that they work efficiently and safely.

What to do if you smell gas

The smell of gas in your home can be alarming and needs to be addressed immediately, so it’s important that everyone in your home knows what steps to take in the event of a potential gas leak. Taking immediate action can help prevent a potentially devastating situation.

  • Evacuate property immediately.
  • Place your gas supply near the gas meter.
  • Make sure that you and other owners are familiar with the location of your gas meter and how you can interrupt the power supply (if you can).
  • Open all windows and doors.
  • Spread gas accumulated in your house so that fresh air can flow through the building.
  • Do not use electrical devices.
  • Avoid using light switches or electrical devices in your home when transferring your home, as sparks can ignite the gas and cause a fire or explosion.

Click here for more information about Gas Safety Check

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *